[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 and asterisk servers linking to each other

Anton Krall akrall-lists at intruder.com.mx
Sun Mar 13 15:09:28 MST 2005

Guys. I have a few IAX2 connectivity questions that maybe somebody can
clarify to me:

I have my * server and another one with a friend. We are both inside nat and
doing port forwarding:

* -> nat -> internet -> nat -> *

Now, what I dont understand is this, why FWD needs to be configured in
iax.conf with a register and a peer and user entries:

register => user:pw at iax2.fwdnet.net

[iaxfwd]
type=user
context=fwd-incoming
auth=rsa
inkeys=freeworlddialup

[fwd-gw]
type=peer
host=iax2.fwdnet.net
user=user
secret=pw
qualify=2000
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
callerid=Anton Krall

But for connecting 2 * servers you need just this:

register => user:pw at asteriskhost.com

[remoteasterisk]
type=friend
language=sp
host=dynamic
secret=pw
context=mty-incoming
disallow=all
allow=ilbc
auth=md5
trunk=no
qualify=3000
accountcode=mike

Why not use a peer and user entries also? And when do you need to use
trunking? In this example, trunk=no.. Why?

Any enlightment on this will be greatly appreciated.