[Asterisk-Users] Text Messaging or AIM

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 13:54:54 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:14:46 +0100 (CET), Peter Svensson
<psvasterisk at psv.nu> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
>
> > There are SMS sending gateways out there, but they are sending
> > only, no way to receive.  This is fixed in the IM solution by
> > giving the "system" an account of its own.
>
> Whatever gave you that idea? Most operators have an interface allowing
> reception of sms:es over internet. The protocols may be strange (they are)
> and the pricing models vary greatly, but there are many receive interface
> to sms:es.

Well, as far as I know there is no such service in the USA. Take in
mind that SMS is not so popular in the states, email is, and every
cell phone in the US that I have seen that supports SMS, supports SMS
to email from the phone as well. Just take a look at this:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20050313/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc
Most providers have an SMS to email gateway. To send a message to any
SprintPCS phone use: 10digitmobilephonenumber at messaging.sprintpcs.com,
for Verizon use: 10digitmobilephonenumber at vtext.com. I don't know for
the others. There is also a problem that since Number Portability came
in last year there is no way of knowing which phone number belongs to
which provider.