[Asterisk-Users] Text Messaging or AIM

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com
Sun Mar 13 11:58:49 MST 2005

That is if you have a local connection into an SMS network.
I have heard this is available on some European ISDN systems.

In the US, good luck. Outside of getting a GSM phone and
connecting it to your system via a serial port and some sort
of GSM SMS application.

Your best bet is an IM system.  I am looking into this for myself,
as IM access to things like Nagios and Asterisk.

I have an AIM client on my phone, so my plan is:
Jabber gateway to AIM
A Perl daemon to watch for incoming IMs and monitoring events to
generate outgoing IMs.  The daemon can then act on IMs coming
from my phone and do things like drop in a ".call" file.

You will need two AIM accounts, one for your phone/user access
and one for the daemon.

There are SMS sending gateways out there, but they are sending
only, no way to receive.  This is fixed in the IM solution by
giving the "system" an account of its own.

<quote who="Scheda">

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP