[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sat Mar 12 16:04:20 MST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 04:25:59PM -0500, David Filion wrote:

> Maybe I miss read, but doesn't the licensing of the newer releases of
> MySQL require companies to purchase a license?

No. The license is GPL. Originally it was LGPL for the client libraries
but this got changed recently.

So you have a number of options:

1. Use the GPL libraries, and use the code internally only. As long as
   you don't distribute your code the GPL imposes no restrictions on your
   code.

2. Use the GPL libraries and allow your internal code to be exposed

3. Pay MySQL AB for a license.

> This would mean that
> while it is open source, it is not "free as in beer".  This does not
> mean it is not a good DB, just that there may be more that just the
> costs of a support contract involved.  This is why most distros still
> ship the last version before the license change.  As for support, check
> out http://techdocs.postgresql.org/companies.php.

Debian keeps both 4.0 and 4.1 . Fedora's rawhide now has 4.1, Latest
Mandrake has 4.1.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's