[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

David Filion dfilion at dotality.com
Fri Mar 11 14:25:59 MST 2005

Giudice, Salvatore wrote:

>I have had MySQL databases running in excess of 2 terrabytes handling up
>to 700,000 inserts/hour on an 8 cpu machine. Try doing that with
>PostgreSQL.
>
>If you are just running SER or Asterisk, etc - you simply do not need
>the increased feature set or the need to optimize postgreSQL.
>
>As for the "production recommendation" you refer to, I would
>respectufully disagree. If you are an enterprise comapny looking to
>deploy an open-source DB, you will pick the one that has an established
>support company to contract with. So, 'NO': postgreSQL is not
>recommended for production environments. MYSQL AB provides enterprise
>class support. PostgreSQL support consists of contracting with mom and
>pop support shops, mailing lists, and irc. That simply will not be
>acceptable for the enterprise user.
>
>In the end, pick whichever one works for you with the least problems.
>Maybe postgreSQL is easier for your people to support. Green pill or
>blue pill, it's your choice...

Maybe I miss read, but doesn't the licensing of the newer releases of
MySQL require companies to purchase a license?  This would mean that
while it is open source, it is not "free as in beer".  This does not
mean it is not a good DB, just that there may be more that just the
costs of a support contract involved.  This is why most distros still
ship the last version before the license change.  As for support, check
out http://techdocs.postgresql.org/companies.php.

For terrabytes, you can ask on the PostgreSQL mailing lists and get
numerous responses from people running DBs in the terrabyte range.  I'm
sure the MySQL lists have simular stories.

<rant>
The DB mailing lists are full of "to-from" and "success-failure"
stories. Both camps post stories saying "we're #1!".

Personally, I go with what meets (and ideally exceeds) a projects
needs.  If after evaluating a projects needs there is not a clear
winner, try the possibilities and determine for you self what works.

Asking "what database is best" is like asking "which Linux distro is the
best".  There is no clear answer and generally the only result is a
massive thread with no clear answer.
</rant>

Just my $0.02CDN.

David Filion