[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Mar 12 13:29:55 MST 2005

On March 10, 2005 07:14 pm, Giudice, Salvatore wrote:
> I vote for MySQL. PostgreSQL is fine, but MySQL handles much better
> under extreme load. MySQL is also usually touted as being generally

You *gotta* be kidding me.  MySQL can't hold a candle to PostgreSQL for high
load, high volume or complex queries.  MySQL is great for simple selects and
light duty use but you will have to introduce clustering and failover much
sooner for MySQL than you ever will for Postgres.

As far as speed goes, MySQL's speed falls down *very* quickly once you start
using anything more than simple SELECTs.  Throw in some joins, some ordering
and complex clauses and it grinds to a crawl.

> functionality in stored procedures, cursors, and views. In terms of
> support, you can get support from MySQL directly, while PostgreSQL means
> you have to turn to mailing lists. It's really your preference depending

There are plenty of companies to help you with PostgreSQL,
http://www.commandprompt.com being the most obvious choice (they will sell
you PostgreSQL with a support license.)

> supporting open source in house. Lastly, be aware that MySQL is
> distributed under the GNU license with a commercial rider for derivative
> works and PostgreSQl is a BSD license.

MySQL's constant licensing issues are the biggest reason why it's not natively
supported in Asterisk!  Please, please, please get your facts straight.

-A.