[Asterisk-Users] No ringback over IAX - LiveVoip

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Mar 12 06:29:18 MST 2005

> >> I saw some coverage of this in the list archive but no
> >>one seems to have
> >> posted a resolution.
> >>
> >> I am using Asterisk at Home 0.06 and when I get a call from
> >>LiveVoip over
> >> IAX I dump it into my IVR.
> >>input.
> >>
> >> However, there is no ringback indicated to the IAX
> >>caller.
> >
> > Perhaps they expect you to provide audioable progress
> >information inband
> > on the reverse channel? I.e. use the 'r' option on the
> >dial command etc.
> > That is the way some isdn lines etc work.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> That is what everyone is bitching about. No matter whether
> you use the "r" option or not, you never get ringback
> through LiveVoIP. And they consistently point the finger
> at * rather that trying to solve the problem.

If you use ethereal to inspect the iax packets in the above
case, you see that asterisk is sending an IAX Type=Control packet
with a Control subclass: Ringing (3) to the LiveVoip switch.

LiveVoip is ignoring that particular control packet. I'd have
to guess that LiveVoip wants ringback to occur in the audio
stream, not as a iax control packet, and therefore is blaming
asterisk.

The "r" option within asterisk (in the above case) is doing
exactly what Mark intended for asterisk-to-asterisk iax
connections, which is different then LiveVoip expectations.
So, who is wrong here, or is this just human translations of
what is expected in a non-rfc communications environment?

If asterisk is going to be modified to support LiveVoip expectations,
then yet another Dial option would need to be implemented to
force ringback to occur as an audio stream for iax only. Guess
one could open a bug report for both LiveVoip and Asterisk, but
not likely to be addressed any time soon since this is itsp
dependent.

Rich