[Asterisk-Users] VoipJet Terms of Service

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 11 14:24:11 MST 2005

John Goerzen wrote:

>I've heard good things about VoipJet here, so I was going to set up an
>account.  Then I noticed their Terms of Service here:
>https://www.voipjet.com/tos.php
>
>Several things there are very concerning to me, and I'm interested in
>what other people here think of them.
>
> * The ToS specifically forbids use for any call relating to medical,
>   financial, or government matters -- as well as any "important" call.
>   So I'm violating my contract if I call to make a doctor appointment
>   or check no an X-ray.

I think they are putting this in to avoid being sued because that duper
important call your were placing was cut for reason X Y Z. However it's
completely stupid since they're targetting 'emerging carriers'. If
you're gonna be a carrier, there's a chance you'll want to route _all
calls_.

But then again come to them with a few million monthly minutes under
your belt and I'm sure they'll change the TOS for you...

> * Then there's the NDA: People are specifically prohibited from
>   telling anyone that they use VoipJet, including "end users".  Also,
>   we can't tell people what we pay for it, even though the prices are
>   right there on their website.

Well if they're doing you a discount because you're buying bulk, then
they might not want everybody to know about it - because then others
would be like "hey, i want this rate too". That's quite understandable I
guess.

However it would be better if they asked nicely instead of putting it
into a TOS. For me it works better anyway.

>   This one really bothers me.  I feel it is an undue restriction on my
>   free speech.  Why should I waive the right to share my experiences
>   with companies with others just because I have bought their services?

Damn. Here you go: THERE IS A 99.999999999999% CHANCE THAT I USE VOIPJET.
Perfectly in line with the TOS - :-)

> * Then there is this one: "The Customer agrees not to undertake any
>   action . . . that would harm VoipJet . . . in any way, including
>   financially."  So, if I got crappy service from VoipJet and blogged
>   about it, and thus cost them business, even if the NDA didn't get to
>   me, this would, even if my account was completely accurate.  How sickening.

Well if you make a campaign on a company without tangible proof backing
your claims, it's called slander. As for the 'you agree not to sue us'
clause, if you do sue them and the judge thinks you actually have a
case, it ain't going to do much for them.

> * I'm also wondering about "this is not a service for end users".  How
>   does one assert that one is not an end user?  Is the ability to setup
>   and configure asterisk to use VoipJet proof in itself, or is there
>   some other proof necessary?

I think that basically as long as you:

- don't slag them off in public too much
- don't sue them because of X Y or Z
- don't use your account for immoral / illegal purposes

=> you'll be fine. All the rest is silly legalese to cover their butts.

I've been using VoIPJet for a while for really low volume and apart from
the occasional outage, it's been fine.

>Thoughts?
>
>Because of all this, I think I'll go with http://www.livevoip.com/,
>which has a much more common sense ToS.