[Asterisk-Users] VoipJet Terms of Service

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Mar 11 12:27:00 MST 2005

I've heard good things about VoipJet here, so I was going to set up an
account.  Then I noticed their Terms of Service here:
https://www.voipjet.com/tos.php

Several things there are very concerning to me, and I'm interested in
what other people here think of them.

 * The ToS specifically forbids use for any call relating to medical,
   financial, or government matters -- as well as any "important" call.
   So I'm violating my contract if I call to make a doctor appointment
   or check no an X-ray.

 * Then there's the NDA: People are specifically prohibited from
   telling anyone that they use VoipJet, including "end users".  Also,
   we can't tell people what we pay for it, even though the prices are
   right there on their website.

   This one really bothers me.  I feel it is an undue restriction on my
   free speech.  Why should I waive the right to share my experiences
   with companies with others just because I have bought their services?

   There have been many people on this list and in #asterisk that have
   publically violated this NDA.  I wonder why people choose to do that?
   And why VoipJet seems to encourage it?

 * Then there is this one: "The Customer agrees not to undertake any
   action . . . that would harm VoipJet . . . in any way, including
   financially."  So, if I got crappy service from VoipJet and blogged
   about it, and thus cost them business, even if the NDA didn't get to
   me, this would, even if my account was completely accurate.  How sickening.

 * I'm also wondering about "this is not a service for end users".  How
   does one assert that one is not an end user?  Is the ability to setup
   and configure asterisk to use VoipJet proof in itself, or is there
   some other proof necessary?

Thoughts?

Because of all this, I think I'll go with http://www.livevoip.com/,
which has a much more common sense ToS.