[Asterisk-Users] Re: Vonage a provider?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Mar 11 13:50:38 MST 2005

OK, I missed the message that started this thread, but:

On 2005-03-11, Wiley Siler <wsiler at education2020.com> wrote:
> Regardless, you seriously need to come to terms with the fact that it
> WILL continue to happen.
> New users will always equal people without a clue.

No, that is not so.  Some new users are willing to investigate things on
their own; to attempt to find information in documentation and online;
to apply some basic intuition to problems before asking others for help.
These people are usually treated kindly anywhere.

> They will come here not knowing how to do anything or how to find
> anything.

Then they should not be coming here.  People should not be asking here
if they have not yet learned to use Google and search list archives.
Such people are not going to have the skills to run a PBX anyway.

><IMPORTANT DISTINCTION COMING>
> Whether they stay and become users, contributors, and purchasers of
> service or equipment has a lot to do with how they are treated at the
> outset.

I suggest that the users that make zero effort to find an answer prior
to posting are not users that are ever going to contribute much to the
project, whether by contributing code or money.  Frankly, I would view
contributions from such people with suspicion.

You might find this link useful:

While a lot of what ESR says these days is of questionable value, that
is one that is a good read.

><IMPORTANT DISTINCTION COMPLETE>
> If they do not KNOW that voip-info exists how are they supposed to look
> there?

Oh c'mon, it is at or near the top of so many google searches involving
asterisk, how could they have missed it?

I just got into Asterisk recently.  I spent quite some time reading
information there and on other sites before asking for some pointers.

Really, when I ask a question, I not only want an answer, but also how I
could have discovered the answer for myself.  It is faster for everyone
if I can discover the answer for myself.

> automatically know where the Wiki is?  I recognize that there are links
> they could have followed but it is just "noobitis".  They get
> overwhelmed or don't know the next move. Or maybe don't know the

People that get overwhelmed because there is a "Support" link on
asterisk.org have no business running a PBX.

People that get overwhelmed because there is an Asterisk wiki have no
business running Asterisk.

C'mon now.  Asterisk is much more complex than either of these.  If they
cannot manage simple skills, then I don't see how they can manage
Asterisk.

> I agree with your general feelings on when people come here looking for
> htings they should be able to get themselves.

Yes, that is a good way to handle it.

Though again, if the answer is completely obvious from one google
search, why?

[ snip ]

>> At least that is how I feel about noobs and silly questions.
>
> This has nothing to do with noobs and/or silly questions. This has to do
> with not doing any research but wanting others to do it for you.

That is key.

I am not annoyed if someone asks a silly question but has tried to find
an answer.  That happens, and that is what community is all about.

But if somebody asks a question without attempting to find an answer,
then it is a silly thing to do, regardless of the question.

-- John