[Asterisk-Users] Sipura-841 Problems

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Fri Mar 11 08:19:21 MST 2005

voip at les.net (LES.NET 1996 INC.) writes:
> Yes, I upgraded some prior to the problem.  it seems to affect both
> versions of the firmware.
>
> But you cannot upgrade them after they lock up.

I don't know if this is related, but I couldn't get my sipura spa-841
working using any of the half-dozen store-bought cat-5 patch cables I
had laying around.  It just refused to register.  Tcpdump confirmed
that packets were coming from it, and we answered, but it never
"heard" us.  Just out of randomness I tried the shorter enclosed cable
that came with the spa-841 and would you believe that it started
working?

As far as I can tell, the rj-45 socket on the phone is just a bit
non-standard and the wires just don't make reliable contact to the
spades on the cable.  It isn't a case of some of the wires in the
socket being bent, they are all straight and look "normal".  All I can
think is that the contact wires have a slightly higher than normal
angle and end up hitting the plastic lip of the rj-45 plug instead of
resting on the gold spade contacts.

-wolfgang