[Asterisk-Users] Bandwidth

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 11 01:36:54 MST 2005

asterisk wrote:

> Assuming I'm using a VOIP provider of some sort, what kind of
> bandwidth requirements / line should I expect to have in place?  I
> currently have 8 traditional voice lines, and a FAX line that doubles
> as my DSL source.  Ballpark, what do I need to have in place to move
> everything to asterisk?

- I recommend having a dedicated Linux box (I use debian + a couple of
ethernet cards) which does Network Bridge + Asterisk + Traffic shaping.

- If your bandwith is short (for example 256kbit/s), install another
asterisk box on a dedicated hosting facility with plenty of bandwith.
Then buy some g.729 licenses so that you can use g.729 between your
office behind DSL and your dedicated box.

- Keep your FAX line for faxes, emergencies, and failover.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.