[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Thu Mar 10 16:06:28 MST 2005

It's not that odd an environment, but I've found that with all the
various apps we're running on DBs, updates are usually the least common
transaction, inserts the next, and reads the most common by a margin --
and this is where caching shines.  Updates also aren't that costly,
since IB/FB, as most DB engines, supports a write-through cache and
commits changes to disk when idle.  I've seen small tables with a high
ratio of updates vs. reads (1:3, 1:4) occasionally, but this was a
result of the programmers choice to put temporary operating data into
the database, rather than into memory.