[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 10 00:00:01 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 00:37 -0600, Jay Milk wrote:
> So much for the history.  As for usability, IB is your typical (almost)
> ANSI SQL-92 compliant database engine.  It supports RI, triggers, stored
> procs, just like we all like'em.  Its engine is touted for the
> "superserver architecture" but in years of working with it
> professionally, I still couldn't quite tell you what that is.  I saw a
> few benchmarks floating around in the mid-90s were Interbase just rocked
> the heck out of Oracle, MSSQL and Sybase.  I'm not sure if it's still in
> the lead on performance, but IB has supported SMP since version 7 --
> firebird trails a bit on this.  In practice, I've seen performance
> issues in databases of a certain size.

If it stores the entire DB in 1 file, it can not scale as well as other
DBs. Postgres 8 supports splitting a single DB up so you can put
portions of it on different media if needed. If you have to tune for
absolute speed, you can purchase one of the solid state drives for the
tables that need that kind of speed while using much less expensive
harddrives for the rest of the DB. While I do not remember mysql
supporting it this directly, I think I remember the file structure being
not to difficult to figure out and split and symlink back together if
need be.