[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Linterra linterra at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:58:47 MST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:43:46 -0500, list at ipmotel.net <list at ipmotel.net> wrote:
> For some reason I didn't think PostgreSQL was for mission critical apps.  I
> don't think I have any reasoning behind it, just didn't think it was
> "hardcore"...sounds like i might be wrong...i'll have to look into it more.
>
> Open source advantages are obvious, but aside from licensing and cost
> factors, I believe speed, security, and stability are going to be the key
> factors for us, whether open source or not.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

PostgreSQL 8.0 would be my recommendation.  The new features that were
put into production with this latest release are impressive.
Replication, point-in-time recovery, transactions and many other
features make this database outshine mySQL (even with innoDB)

I have several database applications which each average over two
million queries a day.  mySQL works just fine except it degrades to
full-tablespace scans too quickly, whereas postgreSQL does a much
better job of optimizing more complicated queries.  Even when
postgreSQL resorts to a full table scan, it still seems to return the
results quite a bit faster than mySQL.  Everything else is the same
(same OS, computer, processor, RAM, hard-drive, etc).

Anything new that my team produces will definately be running on postgreSQL.

Just my $.02.