[Asterisk-Users] Please help with install *

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Mar 9 02:04:49 MST 2005

Hi

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:53:14AM -0800, Victoria Alexandru wrote:

[snip]

> Checking out from CVS:
> [root at localhost victoria]# cd /usr/src
> [root at localhost src]# export
> CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.digium.com:/usr/cvsroot
> [root at localhost src]# cvs login
> Logging in to
> :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.digium.com:2401/usr/cvsroot
> CVS password:
> [root at localhost src]# cvs checkout zaptel libpri
> asterisk asterisk-addons asterisk-sounds
> U asterisk-sounds/sounds/wx/temperature.gsm
> U asterisk-sounds/sounds/wx/wind-chill.gsm
> U asterisk-sounds/sounds/wx/winds.gsm
> [root at localhost src]#

One general priciple:

RPM is for reproducable builds. When you build packages as root you
don't get reproducable builds: the %install script can easily install on
the real system. It may seem longer, but the result is a reproducable
build.

The general rule of thumb is that you build everything as a user, even
the kernel packages.

I don't know if Mandrake have kernel module packages. SuSE seem to have
some. It basically only requires some convensions as to where the files
will be. In Debian the zaptel-source package puts its files under
/usr/src/module/zaptel and I currently manually copy those files to the
build tree to generate the kernel-spcific zaptel-modules package.

Just in case you don't have rpm configured to build packages as your
user, I wrote a script a couple of years ago to create that
configuration: http://iglu.org.il/~tzafrir/mkrpmconf

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's