[Asterisk-Users] NAT Far End Traversal

dbakkerlist at arrayasolutions.com dbakkerlist at arrayasolutions.com
Tue Mar 8 08:27:16 MST 2005

The IAX protocol gets around all NATn? I was thinking of using ser. Do you
run it on the same box? Can you share you ser.cfg?

Yair Hakak <yhakak at gmail.com>
Sent by: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
03/08/2005 09:00 AM
Please respond to
yair at hakak.com; Please respond to
Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial    Discussion
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>

<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Asterisk-Users] NAT Far End Traversal

Hello,
 i'm using ser+nathelper+rtpproxy in front of asterisk. It has been
terrific. The only problem i have is with some DSL modems that grab
port 5060 for themselves (why, i don't know, it's very annoying but
easily solvable). Other than that, no issues at all, in the NAT, in
the DMZ, between the modem and the router, all good.

You can also look into ser+stun in front of asterisk.

Or, you could just use IAX :-)

-yair

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:49:36 +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver
<hiver.j at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> After some research, it seems the only reasonable thing to do in order
> to get SIP phones behind NAT working reasonably well without fiddling
> with the DSL router is to have some kind of far end nat traversal
mechanism.

> Is there any way to do this with open source tools? I've seen somewhere
> that far end nat traversal can be achieved with SER + nathelper does the
> job... has anybody gotten this working  in conjunction with Asterisk?
>
> Another question... Are you aware of a SIP ATA or phone that has some
> kind of VPN (i.e. PPTP) client embedded in? This would make the NAT
> problem go away nicely and provide added security...
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: