[Asterisk-Users] Question about AGI vs. FastAGI vs. straight C/DB development

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 18:17:20 MST 2005

--- Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 14:21 -0800, beonice wrote:
     --- snip ---
> > Would it make more sense to write a custom
> application
> > in C instead, designing it to work sort-of like
> the
> > built-in app_voicemail.c and others? I do know C,
> but
> > is it worth the effort in terms of ROI? :)
> >
> > I'd like to figure this out in advance rather than
> > after all my customers (hopefully there _will_ be
> > customers) start yelling at me about performance
> > issues. :)
>
> You said a magic word there, customers. You need to
> become versed in the
> ins and outs of licensing. If you write it in C and
> distribute it, you
> must also offer to those you distribute asterisk
> your modifications and
> linked in code.

Hmm. I'm not going to be distributing this, it'll be
an in-house application, for my eyes only. :) The
customers will merely be using the in-house server. So
GPL or not would not be an issue. Robustness,
scaleability and ROI definitely are the issues I'm
interested in.

Again, the licensing issues for AGI or FastAGI using
any Asterisk libraries should not be an issue either.

   --- snipped some of Steven's response ---

> FastAGI offers faster initial response times than
> AGI as it will most
> likely already be running and ready to accept a new
> call. FastAGI should
> also be capable of being load balanced if that
> process is doing too much
> work to be responsive upon scaling. AGI is not
> capable of being run from
> a different machine.

Okay, so it looks like AGI itself will not be worth
pursuing. That's okay, at least I have a handle on
what I'm doing now.

So, FastAGI or straight C? I just want something
that's easy to write. FastAGI will have to be wrapped
around Asterisk commands, so I'm anticipating a slight
overhead there, but if it's really not that much
slower, it may be faster to get the IVR code up and
running.

Opinions? Would any of you bother writing an IVR-only
application (like the app_voicemail application) in C?
Why or why not?

Thanks,
Maya