[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Sun Mar 6 16:16:29 MST 2005

Joe Greco wrote:
>>The definitive guide of what versions can be upgraded to what is at:
>>
>>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4967/products_upgrade_guides09186a008022a968.html
>>
>>In particular, look at tables 2 and 3.
>

> Horrible answer.
>
> Better:
>
> 1) Take ANY Cisco documentation with a ton of salt.  I've seen numerous
>    examples of it being broken, silly, and just plain wrong.  And that's
>    just the useful and relevant bits.
>
> 2) Run, don't walk, run over to the Wiki and stare at the numerous notes
>    available on upgrading the firmware on these.  Probably a good idea
>    to look at related pages too.

I assure you that this page is what the original poster wants, at least
to begin with. I've used it to upgrade quite a few 7960s. I've never had
one that didn't work, though I'll admit that some did take a couple of
tries or intermediary steps. Follow table 3 on that page, and if it
doesn't work, then try the Wiki.

I would agree that information is hard to find on Cisco's website, and
it's often contradictory, but in this case that is the page to follow.

We do consulting work as well, in fact it's our main business, but
frankly for 2 phones the rate we'd charge would not be economical. If
you had 200 or 2000 then we could give you a sensible quote.

In answer to another poster, 7960s running SIP can register with
Asterisk with no problems.

--
Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,