[Asterisk-Users] Survey: what's the best HTTPd/TFTPd/FTPd to serve up configuration files to sets

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Sat Mar 5 18:42:28 MST 2005

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

>I would like to start a discussion centred around the various ways one
>might serve up configuration files from an Asterisk server (I know, it's

[snippage]

>I have heard that khttpd is pretty lightweight, but its use seems to
>have been deprecated, and it does not appear to be actively maintained.
>Is TuX the way to go?

TUX, unless it has changed since I last looked (and I don't think it
has) has to hand off requests for dynamic content to another
full-featured server, like Apache. If you want to use any PHP, mod_perl,
or CGI scripts (vmail.cgi for instance) on your web server, then you'll
need two web server.

>As for tftpd and ftpd, I'm just not sure. Leightweight is the key, here.

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to which
distribution is best: "The best one to use is the one you know."

Personally, I try to use Postfix, Perl, Apache, and PostgreSQL on
Linux.  There are advantages to qmail, PHP, TUX, and MySQL, but for
various reasons, I have chosen to get to know Postfix, Perl, Apache, and
PostgreSQL.  Because I know them, I can set them up to perform more
efficiently and more securely than I could replacements for them that
are marketed as "more secure" or "more robust."

Tftp (and to some extent ftp) servers are sort of an exception to this
rule.  There's so little to configure that I'm fine using whatever the
stock is with my distribution.  So long as they're not totally
bone-headed, they'll all do the job about the same.

Nick