[Asterisk-Users] X100P Clone, Which one?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Mar 5 14:57:54 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On March 5, 2005 02:46 pm, Paul wrote:
>

>>Maybe one of the free web-based forum packages will eventually offer an
>>"elitist" or "impatient" mode. Before you can post, you do the required
>>reading and pass online exams. The idea is to weed out people who think
>>README is just another geek buzzword. You have to know what a FAQ is and
>>you have to know what RTFM means.
>>

>That wouldn't help.  If you're unwilling to learn, then this list isn't for
>you.  Plain and simple.  OSS grows when people learn.

I was merely attempting to be sarcastically humorous.

>>Most of those people who tend to scold every newbie are probably
>>"elitist pretenders". If they were truly elite, they would be too busy
>>to read and reply to such posts. Of course some of us are just
>>impatient, regardless of our skill level.
>>

>Believe what you want, and I'l continue using my Asterisk servers and
>providing service to my customers.  As I mentioned to another poster, feel
>free to manipulate your MUA's filters to adjust reality to your liking.
>
>FWIW, I think only the truly elite possess the time to help out others, since
>the "elitist pretenders" are too busy fiddling with their systems and trying
>to get them to work properly to be able to help.  :-)

FWIW - some of us have paying customers and helping them takes absolute
over helping newbies who won't try to help themselves first. Some of
them actually are capable of reading and studying the information
already out there, but they are also selfish and lazy.

A good illustration of this attitude happened last week: I had 3 paid
"technicicians" who didn't have enough common sense to pick up a phone
and listen for modem tone when a customer had problems with a dedicated
dialup. The customer had neglected to pay the long distance carrier. Do
you think the majority of us want to babysit people like this for free?