[Asterisk-Users] timing/clock problem

Alex G Robertson alex at microlink.com.br
Thu Mar 3 10:52:24 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>
>> Wow you're the first person I've seen using a combination of T1 and E1
>> on the same card.  I wonder if this has something to do with it (i.e.
>> a bug in the drivers).
>

> Based on my understanding of these cards, I don't think it's possible
> for this to work.
>
> The framer chip on the board will sync itself to the incoming streams
> and recover the data, so that _might_ work. What will _not_ work
> properly is the outgoing streams; all the streams leaving the card are
> clocked using the same clock (either the on-board clock, or the
> currently selected "span" clock).
>
> When you set a span to clock source "1" in zaptel.conf, that makes it
> the preferred transmission clock source for the _entire card_. If that
> span is down, the span marked "2" becomes the source for the card. If
> none of the spans with non-zero preferences are up, the card uses its
> internal source to clock the transmissions.

Ok. I got that. But when I put another PRI from another telco (I use it for Dial
clients) it "syncronizes". The clock differnce appear, but this Telco doesn't
send me any alarms.

I am in contact to Digium support and they did not say any thing about using E1
and T1 in the same card.

I can't understand why the clock synchronize when clock on span 4 is set to 0
and when it is set to 1, I get that 443 bps difference in the clocks.

The channel bank at the E1s work just fine at both conditions.

[]s
--
Alex G Robertson
NOC - Microlink