[Asterisk-Users] newbie questions

Gary G. Hendershot GHendershot at cox.net
Wed Mar 2 16:06:30 MST 2005

Getting Asterisk to work with the proprietary phones from your Lucent PBX is
not likely to happen ...  you might be able to use Asterisk to act as a
"front end" to your Lucent PBX by using FXS cards ... you would have
Asterisk interface with the CO, then ring the Lucent box ... but you would
not be able to make use of most of the PBX features of Asterisk doing this

about all you would get for your trouble is Attendant and VoiceMail ... how
your Lucent phones would then retrieve voicemail would be a real challenge
... suspect they would have to pick up an "outside line" and dial a code
into Asterisk to retrieve it ... transfers from Asterisk to specific Lucent
extensions would not work ...

You might be able to get a card for the Lucent box that would permit it to
accept connections from a standard analog phone ... this would let you
connect Asterisk as an extension ... grabbling an outside line would be a
"dial 9" chore for Asterisk ... but connecting it as an extension would
permit the auto attendant to do direct transfers to Lucent phones ...

Best thing to do would be to replace the proprietary phones with generic SIP
phones ...  doing this would make your Asterisk configuration cleaner and
easier to manage ...  also a lot more predictable ...

Check the wiki at http://www.voip-info.org ...  there are a number of
articles about how to interface Asterisk with legacy phone systems ... some
are quite creative and overcome most limitations ...

G.Hendershot