[Asterisk-Users] Music on hold on timing sources

Rod Bacon rod.bacon at empoweredcomms.com.au
Wed Mar 2 15:06:53 MST 2005

There are 2 issues here. Firstly, the timing source you are looking for is ZTDUMMY. It's in the zaptel source but you may need to edit the Makefile and uncomment it (remove the # from in front of ztdummy) in order for it to be compiled and installed. Once you've got it compiled, Just install it as a regular module in the way you would any other zaptel card module. You need the timing source for other more important things too, like the meetme (conference room) functionality.

Secondly, my limited (and possibly incorrect) understanding of MOH tells me that the hold button on the phone (or softphone) is not enough to engage MOH on it's own. The hold button generally sends a Re-INVITE with "a=sendonly" attribute and a zero IP address for media in the SDP message (This is from the Grandstream user manual). In other words it deliberately establishes a broken RTP stream between the endpoints.

SOME phones (Sipura, Snom but currently NOT grandstream) allow you to set a MOH server in their configuration. In this case, you simply create an extension on your asterisk server that plays MOH, and set this extension number in your phone's MOH Server parameter. I have this working on the 2 phones that I mentioned. I don't know if it's supported on the CISCO phone you have.

If anything I've said is wrong, would somebody please enlighten me!