[Asterisk-Users] Getting Polycom IP500 to talk to Asterisk - um... Newbie question :)

Martijn van Oosterhout martijn at ecomtel.com.au
Wed Mar 2 14:03:18 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:42:11PM -0800, Don Murray wrote:

> Hmmm... I have this aweful feeling that I'm choosing the exact wrong
> time to ask a "newbie question" :)  Oh well, here it goes.
>
> The quick question is : "How do I dial an extension?"  (answer is
> probably - "you don't" in which case:)
> "How do I dial my asterisk box?" - I have no outside line, I just want
> to start testing things like voicemail internally.

<snip>
No stupid question here, you've obviously done your homework. You
should look up breifly in the docs about "contexts" and "extensions".

According to the "context" line in your sip.conf, when those phones
dial, they will be in context "sip". Go to your extensions.conf and
check you have something defined there. What you'd expect is something
like:

[sip]

exten => 6000,1,Dial(SIP/175polycom)
exten => 6001,1,Dial(SIP/175polycom)
exten => 6010,1,Goto(demo,s,1)   ; Just for fun...

Then they can use 6000 and 6001 to call themselves and eachother.

This should be enough to get you started.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout
Ecomtel Pty Ltd