[Asterisk-Users] LiveVoip is Bankrupt

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Tue Jun 28 10:40:23 MST 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:59:31AM -0400, steve szmidt said:
> On Monday 27 June 2005 20:04, Robert Webb wrote:
> > > I agree with that fact the same questions get posted, but
> > > that problem is compounded by the fact the archives are not
> > > really searchable. If the were as lease some users would search.
> > > The archives need to be fully indexed.
> >
> > In a Google search box: site:lists.digium.com "What you are searching
> > for"
>
> The problem many newbies faces is TOO MUCH information. Not being able to see
> the trees because of the forest basically.
>
> It does not matter either if it has been discussed until someone went crazy or
> died. The reason it keeps coming up is because it has not been solved.

The problem is NOT that the archives are not searchable or indexed. The
problem is that we are dealing with a very complex subject /
application. Telephony is Very different from general computing. The
terminology, technology, typical problem set is unique to the industry.
Now we add all the typical computer and network issues on top such as
IRQ's, QoS, firewalls, NAT, etc.

Newbies don't have a chance unless they are willing to spend the time it
takes to learn about the technology they are trying to implement.

Maybe some day this will change as hardware gets better, easier to
configure, and the software matures. People that want something that
"just works" without "tinkering" NOW should either be NOT using VoIP
technology, or should be purchasing a complete solution (or consulting
services) from one of the many vendors available.

* and VoIP are still very young, about where Apache was as a web
server (and the internet in general) back in 1996 - pretty stable,
but still immature.