[Asterisk-Users] LiveVoip is Bankrupt - Why this thread

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Mon Jun 27 16:37:45 MST 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 17:26, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Monday 27 June 2005 15:46, steve szmidt wrote:
> > One could probably argue effectively for an Asterisk-Basic list. Or an
> > Asterisk-Advanced user list. Something that makes it easier to get
> > started without being overwhelmed by 10,000-15,000 users posts. A place
> > that frequently posted links to the beginner pages on the wiki.
>
> We've effectively argued it to death many many times over the course of the
> last few years.  Check the archives -- it's been thought up and re-thought
> up and dismissed each and every time.

Yes, I remember.

> Basic issue: nobody will want to sit on the newbie list because they'll end
> up answering all the same questions over and over since nobody really seems
> to want to read for themselves.

Exactly. Though I think we could have more success if we had a dumb'd down
version of the wiki with very few options. Maybe along the line Minimum-1,
A-Bit-More-2 and A-Little-Bit -More-3. The wiki could do with a MySQL web
type layout. I'm thinking of the many examples part. But I sure don't have
the time to do it. But I would be tempted.

> It's the same argument that comes around for forums, except that last time
> I think we actually witnessed a man lose his mind on the mailing list.
> That was entertaining.  :-)

Hehe... we don't see that much fun every day. Which is probably why it was
entertaining.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin