[Asterisk-Users] Re: Horrible MeetMe performance

qrss qrss at keitz.org
Sun Jun 26 17:33:29 MST 2005

In my experience, several seconds of delay becomes apparent over time when
using an internal clock source.  Seems its a clocking/timer issue.
Certainly we are dealing with clocking differences over time and unsynced
samples are being significantly buffered and then replayed later.  What
are you using as a clock source? I think that basically we are looking at
50 packets/sec at 20ms each packet for alaw/ulaw voip. That is - 1 second
of speech.  Now, zaptel seems to time from whatever hardware clock is
available and almost assumes that the clock will be precisely 8000 samples
per second or 1000 interrupts/second (also 1 second of speech).  It seems
that the voip clock is slightly faster than the hardware clock that zaptel
is timing from.  The extra samples/second must be being buffered.  Of
course, this buffering would add up over time until the point that a VOIP
sample is played back several seconds out of phase.  Seems that either the
zaptel clock source must be brought to closer tolerance, or the extra data
that is being buffered must be thrown away in order to stay in sync. Any
thoughts?