[Asterisk-Users] LiveVoip is Bankrupt

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 26 16:56:01 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 16:42 -0400, Alexander Lopez wrote:

> If I recall recently LiveVoIP touted it 'merger' with a large
> corporation (daddy BigBucks). I also remember that it was posted that it
> was not in the best interest of LiveVoip to move forward on the merger.
> In hind sight this is probably the result of the due-diligence done on
> the larger corporation's side. Citing non-disclosure and other standard
> agreements entered during transactions such as these it does not
> surprise me that we (the customers) were not told about the writing on
> the wall..

My writing on the wall reference was not towards customers, instead it
was towards livevoip (or any other company) when they accepted money for
service they knew they could not provide.

In america at least (most other countries most likely have laws against
this as well) it is illegal to accept money for services you know you
cannot provide.  It is also illegal (falls under fraud) for companies to
sell services below cost knowing they will drive themselves into the
ground and file bankrupcy.

While some may be able to get credit card refunds (depending on a
variety of factors, like how long ago they were charged, any court
orders in place right now, etc - most banks wont give you a refund if
they know they wont get any money from the merchant, unless you can
prove fraud to some degree) there are more than likely more customers
that will not.  The only way to go after anything would be to go after
the people involved (a corporation does not shield oneself against
illegal actions - if that were the case CEOs across the country wouldnt
be in jail, have been in jail, facing jail, or trying to appeal their
jail sentences).

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378