[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk server with remote monitoring capabilities

Max W Blackmer Jr max at knowledgepowerit.com
Fri Jun 24 08:11:03 MST 2005

A little note. make sure your server motherboard/bios supports power on
after power loss to use the remote control power strip. Secondly make
sure the power strip control uses SSH and NOT telnet to control it.
Telnet is too insecure because passwords are sent plain text.

Another possibility is to write a reboot script and set up a cron job to
automatically reboot every night until you solve the bigger problem of
why is the server having problems?

With Linux their is little need to reboot Linux. There is only one time
that you have to reboot Linux. When you upgrade the kernel or its
modules. Kernel modules do not always need a reboot. Kernel module that
do require a reboot are critical to operation of your system for example
RAID# .

The best way is to have a script that uses the init script to restart
the applications that are questionable on a cron job schedule for low
usage.  With a good script you could also check on the status of the
service and perform functional test of the service. Then the script
would perform the necessary tasks to recover from application failure.
This wont help with a total system failure as the script will not work.
Some of the remote monitoring cards can detect a system lockup and
preform a system reboot automatically.  When all of these fail you can
use remote control power strips or a KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) over IP
to remotely control the hardware as if you are there.  Cyclades
(www.cyclades.com) sells both KVM and Remote Power management solutions
that are secure. They even have RSA authentication tokens and a
Biometric/RSA token authentications for secure management of the remote
locations.

Cheers,

Max W. Blackmer, Jr.
Consultant, Knowledge Power IT