[Asterisk-Users] Re: Cisco 7960 firmware upgrade promblems

Patrick Lidstone (Personal E-mail) patrick at lidstone.net
Thu Jun 23 10:05:04 MST 2005

> > I have a second-hand 7960 which I am attempting to upgrade to
> > use a SIP
> > image.
> >
> > The phone currently has a firmware release which doesn't seem
> > to be listed
> > in Cisco docs - P003AM30. On reboot, it finds the tftp server
>
> Here's how I performed the upgrade:
>
> Downgrade from the stock P003AM30 to POS30203
>
> Upgrade to version 5.1 (first signed binary firmware)
>
> Upgrade to version 7.1 * (most recent version? maybe 7.4?)
>
> * When upgrading to 7.1 there is a typo in the OS79XX file,
> it will say
> "P00xxxxx" change it to "P0Sxxxxx"....great typo by Cisco.
>

> Check the comments on this wiki page:
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx?page=A
> sterisk%20phon
> e%20cisco%2079xx&comments_threshold=0&comments_offset=0&commen
> ts_sort_mode=c
> ommentDate_desc&comments_maxComments=10&comments_parentId=353#
> threadId358

Thanks, I've almost cracked it now! 2 out of 3 phones are OK, but the third
phone sticks on the Universal Application Loader. I've put a packet sniffer
on the network, and I can see it requesting a DHCP address which isn't on my
network (some legacy config presumably?), and when that times out, it
requests and is issued with an address that is valid for my network, but
then never attempts to connect to any TFTP server. I then set up a dummy
network (DHCP, TFTP server) which matches the network parameters of the
legacy config, and I still don't see any TFTP requests. Any suggestions on
what to do next? I'm out of ideas...

Patrick