[Asterisk-Users] voip-info.org unreliable lately?

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Wed Jun 22 13:05:56 MST 2005

I doubt it's the software itself (I run Tiki too... It's just PHP.)
It's purely a matter of scaling. What part is causing the load? The PHP
apache processes? The DB server? Both? What performance tuning has been
done? Is it a custom apache compiled for this app or is it a generic
distro version with all the extra modules? What about the disk? Is it
fast enough (slow disk can cause high load average numbers as you spend
all your time in I/O Wait.) Is there enough RAM? What else is the
machine used for?

Whatever is causing load problems can be analyzed and solved. May need
hardware thrown at it. May not. In any case, scaling tiki up is easy -
all it takes is time and money. You can throw multiple front-end and
back-end servers at it to handle any reasonable load (we are not talking
Yahoo levels here...) Converting the content (as is the case with many
Wiki's) to another wiki system can be quite painful. Each uses their own
wiki notation and has their own list of features. Converting is usually
a last resort.