[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk Implementation

Seamus Abshere sabshere at isthmusgroup.com
Wed Jun 22 10:22:53 MST 2005

Don Brearley wrote:
> I do understand that I would need to replace all [300] of my existing telephones with VoIP-capable
> phones, and that I'll need to re-wire most of the campus telephone infrastructure (it's still
> all cat-3) -- these arent problems.

dear Don & the rest,

Imagine:
*replacing all that wiring
*buying 300 first-generation VoIP hardphones at $100 each
*(regularly?) updating the firmware on each one.

Why not get VoIP<->analog gateways?

That way *centralizes administration* and lets users keep their (higher
quality) analog phones.

The Patton Smartnode 4900 ($4500) should allow this:

(diagram only makes sense in a monospaced font)

       ISDN            SIP             FXS
PSTN <----> Asterisk <---> Smartnode <----> analog phone
        T1             eth             cat3

I'm working on a telephony upgrade for my office too and this approach
makes more sense to me -- please comment!

(also, Don, there are probably gateways with more FXS ports -- say 60
instead of 32 -- that would make this more cost-effective for your 300
phones)

--
Seamus Abshere
Isthmus Group