[Asterisk-Users] Re: New JAVA application server for Asterisk - OrderlyCalls

Wed Jun 22 07:39:28 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 09:36 -0400, Tom Rymes wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2005, at 5:05 PM, Adam Megacz wrote:
>

> > Matt King <m at orderlysoftware.com> writes:
> >
> >> I am familiar with the OSI definitiion.  I've read it again, but I
> >> can't work out exactly how asking for permission contravenes this
> >> definition.
> >> 2)  OrderlyCalls MAY NOT be used to provide or augment call
> >> queuing without
> >> the prior written permission of Orderly Software.
> Maybe I'm wrong here, but his restriction does not seem to be a
> restriction on a field of endeavor. His restriction is a restriction
> on using the software to implement a certain function. If he had said
> "You may  not use this software for commercial purposes" or
> "Individuals engaged in agricultural activities may not use this
> software", or "This software cannot be used by commercial software
> vendors", THEN it would be a restriction based on a specific field of
> endeavor.

So what is different between these two:
"Individuals engaged in agricultural activities may not use this
software"

AND

"Individuals or companies engaged in tele-marketing/cold calling
activities may not use this software"

IMHO, that kind of exclusion does not allow this application to be
called 'free' since it restricts your freedom to use it however you
want...

While I might agree with the philosophy, I don't agree with the
restriction being placed.

Also, I really don't agree with the other restriction saying that you
can't use this software in order to derive some other function (eg, the
equivalent of their other queue product). That definitely reeks of
non-free....

Again, that might be their specific business model, but I don't think
the 'free' software community will be bothered with their applications
if they are so encumbered. Either they will be re-written (re-invented
if you like) or else they really aren't important to anyone anyway....

Just my 0.02c worth

PS, why would you need to host it on sourceforge anyway, why not just
stick it on your own website ??

Regards,
Adam

Regards,