[Asterisk-Users] Re: New JAVA application server for Asterisk - OrderlyCalls

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Wed Jun 22 06:36:16 MST 2005

On Jun 21, 2005, at 5:05 PM, Adam Megacz wrote:

> Matt King <m at orderlysoftware.com> writes:
>
>> I am familiar with the OSI definitiion.  I've read it again, but I
>> can't work out exactly how asking for permission contravenes this
>> definition.
>>

>> 2)  OrderlyCalls MAY NOT be used to provide or augment call
>> queuing without
>> the prior written permission of Orderly Software.
>>

> "6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
>
>  The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
>  in a specific field of endeavor.  For example, it may not restrict
>  the program from being used in a business..."
>
>   http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Maybe I'm wrong here, but his restriction does not seem to be a
restriction on a field of endeavor. His restriction is a restriction
on using the software to implement a certain function. If he had said
"You may  not use this software for commercial purposes" or
"Individuals engaged in agricultural activities may not use this
software", or "This software cannot be used by commercial software
vendors", THEN it would be a restriction based on a specific field of
endeavor.

Tom