[Asterisk-Users] Is this server sufficient?

Lists lists at netwvcom.com
Wed Jun 22 05:24:38 MST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 07:27, Francesco Peeters wrote:
> It is currently doing File/Printer serving.
>
> Ideally I'd want it to do Asterisk (2 ISDN BRI & 8 phones), File/Printer
> server on a home network (3 clients) and some light SMTP (< 100 emails a
> day)
>
> Is this machine sufficient for the task? (Ignoring the fact it needs
> either a multi-BRI card or 2 single BRI cards to be able to connect to the
> PSTN <G>)

I don't see a reason why it won't work. I have done the same on a 600MHz
machine and as long as I did not have anything major going on it worked fine.
Of course you will find that you can have potential problems with all sorts
of h/w once you put some load on Asterisk.

Another box I tried was a top of the line Intel w dual Xeon (also 600MHz) that
once cost over $10,000. It did not work too well, even on single phone calls.
Then I tried an IBM 600MHz single processor which does just fine.

You will notice rather easily when your h/w cannot keep up. Ideally all you do
on an Asterisk box is run Asterisk, but as I said you'll notice when it's not
up to the task. When you use cpu intensive codecs you'll see when your
machine is not up to it. Just dive in and try it.

I think someone here got a 233MHz machine to handle single calls...

As long as you use Linux you won't have any problems installing Asterisk just
to test it. Unlike other O/S's it won't mess anything up.

Good Luck!
--

List Manager
Network Voice Comunications, Inc.