[Asterisk-Users] RCAPI ISDN Support

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Mon Jun 20 12:50:56 MST 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 dmatos at eddil.net wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It seems very very strange to me that nobody talks about connecting ISDN
> lines to asterisk using a device with RCAPI Support.
>
> There are some devices (most of them isdn routers, like the famous Cisco 800
> family) that support this protocol. It basically is an ISDN to IP gateway.
> There used to be software that used this technology to send and receive
> faxes, act as voicemail and even ISDN softphone.
> RVS-Com is such an example.
>
> This allowed you to have a single ISDN router shared between many computers
> running the software.
> Since the full ISDN functionality was available thru IP, it seems logic that
> the conversion to sip/IAX/whatever should be relatively simple (without
> having to deal with hardware drivers, IRQ problem and weird cards...)
>
> The current ISDN support in Asterisk is still weak...
> We need some 'disruptive' idea in the ISDN scene (and no, I don't think that
> RCAPI is *the* thing to do it...)

Remote CAPI is already possible.
If you have a server with ISDN cards providing RCAPI (bintec protocol) e.g.
a linux server running rcapid, you can use Asterisk and chan_capi on a
client maschine. A special (patched) version of libcapi20, but no ISDN
hardware is needed. This special libcapi20 is available on
ftp.isdn4linux.org.
Authentification is not implemented yet.

Armin