[Asterisk-Users] RCAPI ISDN Support

dmatos at eddil.net dmatos at eddil.net
Mon Jun 20 11:53:14 MST 2005

Hello.

It seems very very strange to me that nobody talks about connecting ISDN
lines to asterisk using a device with RCAPI Support.

There are some devices (most of them isdn routers, like the famous Cisco 800
family) that support this protocol. It basically is an ISDN to IP gateway.
There used to be software that used this technology to send and receive
faxes, act as voicemail and even ISDN softphone.
RVS-Com is such an example.

This allowed you to have a single ISDN router shared between many computers
running the software.
Since the full ISDN functionality was available thru IP, it seems logic that
the conversion to sip/IAX/whatever should be relatively simple (without
having to deal with hardware drivers, IRQ problem and weird cards...)

The current ISDN support in Asterisk is still weak...
We need some 'disruptive' idea in the ISDN scene (and no, I don't think that
RCAPI is *the* thing to do it...)

Daniel Matos

PS: A list of some devices supporting RCAPI :
http://www.rvs.de/test/cms/front_content.php?idcatart=64
<http://www.rvs.de/test/cms/front_content.php?idcatart=64&lang=3&client=1>
&lang=3&client=1