[Asterisk-Users] Bill seconds

Race Vanderdecken asteriskusers at codetyrant.com
Thu Jun 16 06:53:30 MST 2005

Your customers are not going to like this.

You have to change the way you bill for calls.

For $1 your customer gets 60 seconds worth of phone time. However you
have to also charge, like the Bells used to, for setup and teardown
time. Remember the operator used to say " Deposit $1.85 for the first
three minutes" and then it would be 30 cents per minute after that.

Buy a phone card from a competitor and look at the fine print on the
card.

You charge buy seconds they are connected to your system, not for the
time they are actually talking to the remote party.

Example:

To set up the call you charge 10 seconds, and to stop the call you
charge 5 seconds. So the customer only gets 45 seconds of call time. You
get a 15 second cushion.

Does not seem fair does it. But if they buy an hour 3600 seconds worth
of calls the missing 15 seconds won't be noticed.

You can go further.

Say they buy a 3600 second card. When they call to check their time the
first time on the card you tell them they have 60 minutes, but you
charge them 30 seconds for asking. Set up the code so that every time
they call you have too fields to track call time. The time they think
they have and the time you know they have.

You tell them they have 45 minutes, but the other field knows they only
have 30 minutes. If they ask then your script says "45 minutes left" but
you cut them off when the use 30.

Then you chip away each time the call. 10 seconds for making a call, and
5 seconds when they hang up. This way you are always in credit and can
cut them off without loosing money.

Some card vendors go even further. They sell 3600 seconds, but each time
a call is made they whack a random percentage of the time.

Worse yet their card system will randomly or systematically hang up on
callers. This will cause the user to redial the call and get hit with
connection charges that vary.

Customers eventually figure out which cards do this type of chicanery
and they stop buying them, but only if there is a competitor for the
route they want to call.

Such is the world of unregulated phone calls. Not pretty is it.

Charging time for each call is part of the business. If you don’t want
to charge time to setup and teardown then you have to charge more per
minute. Your customers get all the time the pay for down to the second,
but you are going to have to charge more per minute or you will be in
the boat you are in now.

Race "the tyrant" Vanderdecken