[Asterisk-Users] Nasty little incident ...

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Jun 16 06:23:37 MST 2005

Doubtful its a clocking issue; the clock is actually on the E1 card
and it obtains "sync" from whichever card you specify. The total lack
of sync will not cause a total failure of the card as described.

The OP did not mention whether the asterisk system was rebooted after
disconnecting the meridian, so I don't believe one can _assume_ the
channel numbers didn't change.

> Exactly what I was about to say Steve.  The numbers won't change. They are configured when the
driver actually detects the
> E1 card and it's spans.  If a span goes down it doesn't disappear. Turning off the meridian
would be the same as an E1 that's
> connected to a carrier going down.  If the channel numbers changed and everything stopped
working every time that happened,
> no one would be using asterisk.  Our carrier friends are hardly 100% reliable.
>
> I'm going with clock source.  I have a feeling that it was using span 4 for clocking and when
it lost that, it broke everything...