[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream phones losing registration with server.

Bob Goddard asterisk at bgcomp.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 03:25:05 MST 2005

On Thursday 16 Jun 2005 09:25, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm using Asterisk, actually A at H 1.1 with all Grandstream 102 phones.
> NAT is not an issue as all including the server have public IP's
>
> The problem is that the phones keep losing registration with the server.
> I have not timed this exactly to see if they drop off with exactly the
> same frequency.
>
> The SIP TRUNK connection to my provider SIPGATE does not lose
> registration, and neither does a Grandstream 2000 connecting in as an
> external extension on a public IP on a different network; lose
> registration.
>
> The problem is that I am not always on site where the server is located
> so have to keep rebooting the phones remotely so it does not affect the
> users. They panic when asked to do anything remotely technical even like
> unplugging the phone and re-plugging it to reboot, ...... lol
>
> Is there anything that you could recommend I do to stop the phones from
> losing registration with the server?

Is this what is happening?

1. Phone rings but does not answer
2. Phone reregisters as normal (after an hour?)
3. Phone rings but does not answer
4. Phone fails to register

If so, then it is a known problem. Grandstream know about it and should
have put the fix into 1.0.6.7 but they mucked up. It should be fixed in
the next release. This only seems to happen with the BT10x phones.

What I have done to alleviate it is to set the "Register Expiration" on
the phone to some large value. It's not perfect, but it helps.