[Asterisk-Users] WiFi IP Phones

Terry H. Gilsenan thg at interoil.com
Wed Jun 15 21:29:17 MST 2005

Anton,

1, Intrinsically Safe is a _Requirement_, not an option on an oil rig,
refinery, etc... There are a few "Zone Categorys" within the IS framework,
and different equipment is certified by an independent body to pass
different tests, and so get different ratings.

2, Each and every IS certified device is shipped with a Certificate
explaining the _exact_ rating and zone category that the item has been
certified for. This certificate will be tied to the device by serial number.

3, Each and every IS certified device and its powersupply are tagged with a
green <Ex> or Fm sticker that displays the Zone category for which they have
been certified, this _Must_ match the details of the accompanying
Certificate.

4, Using non IS equipment in an IS zone will likely void any and all
private, public, and other insurance for the entire site, and most likely
result in the "On the spot" dissmissal of the person that brought the non IS
device on-site, and will at the very least cause a muster and possibly a
shutdown that in the case of an offshore oil platform could cost about
$10Million in lost production before the plant could re-start.

5, How do I know this? I work for an oil company and it is my job to make
sure that IS regulations are followed. Ie: my job is on the line.

6, VoIP works fine over vsat, there is a slight delay, but it is easy to get
accustomed to it. In fact the quality can be better than some
intercontinental voice calls using telco's as the pipe.

Further, there are sections of a refinery or oil rig that are not IS zones,
eg: Sleeping quarters, mess(canteen) An asterisk box could be located there
and added to the existing OF infrastructure, or added to existing IS
certified equipment using TDM cards.

On the platform itself they will need both an IS Intercom and handheld IS
VHF or UHF radios (Both for HSEQ reasons)

I hope this helps