[Asterisk-Users] Making Asterisk NOT Pickup a Line when Ringing?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jun 14 17:10:15 MST 2005

> > Well voip-info seems to be down.   However, a search on google does
> > bring up info about using Wait(x);... but as I stated.. using that
> > (even without an answer line) seems to make Asterisk take control of
> > the line!
>
> Apparently you can do this with contexts; I actually _just_ posted a
> Question for a clarification on this one. (See "Questions about contexts")
>
> Basically you aim your inbound Zap channel at either a non-existent
> context, or a blank context, and Asterisk won't do anything.
>
> I'm curious because you say that it "answers" without an Answer line.
> There are some apps that will automatically answer, but if you are
> just using wait(x) then there shouldn't be an answer. When you dial into
> the Zap card, do you hear it answer while watching the console?

The wait(s) isn't needed either; in this case it adds no value to the
solution whatsoever other then making you think its waiting around.

So what do you think happens after the specified x seconds?
Nothing, unless you have more statements. So why burn cpu cycles to
calculate the end of the wait period, and _then_ do nothing?