[Asterisk-Users] HT-488 vs. SPA-3000?

alan alan at pair.com
Tue Jun 14 07:15:20 MST 2005

Wai-Sun Chia <waisun.chia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just want to tap the collective wisdom of this list as to experiences
> pertaining to the Handytone HT488 and the Sipura SPA-3000 adapters...
>
> Basically I'm looking for a FXO/FXS/LAN ATA and these two seems to be
> the top of the pick..Any comments and experiences esp. with Asterisk
> compatibility would be great, before I plonk in the bucks.

Hello,

I have played with the SPA-3000 a bit, but I haven't used the HT488.

Pros:

The Sipura device is extremely configurable, with many fun options. It
can be used as two completely separate sip devices (one FXO and one
FXS), and optionally provides failover (directly connecting the FXO/FXS)
during loss of power or network.

It's well suited to mass deployment, if you require this. It has many
internationalization options for FXO/FXS port impedence, tone schemes,
hangup detection, and so on.

Cons:

Many people have complained about Sipura customer support being
unavailable for end users. Personally, I try to avoid the problem by
not needing support whenever possible... however:

The main complaint I have with the SPA-3000 is the sound quality and
volume on the FXO port. When a call is made between the POTS line and
another phone on the Asterisk server, the sound volume is very low, and
there is an intermittant popping/clicking sound on the line. I have
tried tweaking many of the settings (VoIP/PSTN gain) in the device to
rectify this, but so far I haven't been able to make it better at all.

I have heard others with a similar complaint, but I haven't heard any
resolution for the problem yet.

Thanks,

Alan Ferrency
pair Networks, Inc.