[Asterisk-Users] Best platform

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Jun 14 05:06:52 MST 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 08:19:58AM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 02:03:59PM +0200, Michiel van Baak wrote:
> > On 13:22, Sat 11 Jun 05, Serge Schumacher wrote:
> > > What platform should you suggest to use asterisk ?
> >
> > I love the way the Debian updates work.
>
> Me too, but has the installation improved with the latest Sarge release?

It sure has. The installer generally automates most of the necessary
tasks.

> The announcement claims there are improvements.  Debian has been
> extremely slow to improve it installer.

Not improvements. A total rewrite, and a very good one. The new
installer is much better. Not to mention much more modular. It does
increase the memory requirements to 24MB, but I hope most folks here can
live with that.

Memory requrements for an installer are usually for a large enough
ramdisk that is extracted before a swap partition on the disk is
availble. Naturally you can always "manually" install a system using a
chroot from another system.

> I used CentOS 3.4 on two recent Asterisk installs with no problems.

But why would an asterisk installation require so many manual steps?
(if there are manbual steps, you will get some of them wrong).

(self promotion: http://xorcom.com/rapid that has everything already
built. Our "current" packages are at
http://tzafrir.org.il/rapid/APT.html )