[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 12 13:44:55 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 22:27 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> Brian Capouch <brianc at palaver.net> writes:
>
> > what alternative means exist out there for Digium to try to ensure
> > their corporate existence?
>
> They already stated that the proprietary version, if I'm not mistaken,
> is nothing but the free version, but with a custom set of features
> that fits their support plan.
>
> Why not just offer support on these features?. It's not harder than to
> state which features are supported and it what shape asterisk must be
> in to be qualified for support.

Because the gpl is parasitic.  If I got a commercial license from digium
I could add proprietary code to it to work with say some trade secret
protected technology that I have (lets pretend I make pbxs or
something).  Under the GPL *MY* code *MUST* be GPLed as well, and open
for all to see.  For many corporations giving out their trade secrets
(which immediatly invalidates the trade secret status since you have to
actively protect them) or other IP would be unacceptable.

This allows asterisk to be used, at least in part, by companies that
have other products, not just asterisk boxes.

If all you want to do is resell asterisk service the GPL suits that, if
you want to give your customers a CD (or other media/access) of the
code.  If however you did not want to do that then a commercial license
is the way to go.  I do not see this as a big point for the commercial
license, I instead see it as development by companies that have some
existing code base or protocol or interface or other process they dont
want public.

> All in all, there is a solution to support the project as a whole as
> long as you got qualified support personell.

You as an individual can sell support on asterisk, and their commercial
licenses and GPL issuance of the code doesnt prevent digium from doing
the same.  There are reasons other than support to get a non GPLed
version of asterisk.

Personally I find myself supporting asterisk on irc more than anything
else.  And that makes it easier to juggle multiple things where a live
voice connection would not make it so easy :)

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378