[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 12 01:14:55 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 18:04 -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2005 16:21, trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:
> > The GPL does not extend to the hardware or software that Asterisk
> > talks to. For example, if you are using a SIP soft phone as a client for
> > Asterisk, it is not a requirement that that program also be distributed
> > under GPL. Additionally, AGI applications, which are simply
> > launched by Asterisk and communicate
>
> No, but there was some talk about exactly what "linking" refers to.  If you
> develop a 3rd party .so that asterisk loads, it does fall under the GPL; you
> can't make a wowie-gee CDR or call routing module and license it any way you
> please.  Mark was at one point condidering the pros and cons of doing the
> same for the manager interface, but I haven't heard anything concrete since.

Really.  So if I use a non GPL libc I cant run asterisk?  Interesting
that its so parasitic that you will either be assimilated or not.  I
however dont think that is the case.  Modules, yes they are considered
derritave works (my opinion is that they arent but that is the wording
on gnu.org), libraries can go either way.  There are ways to curtail
this behaviour if desired and make it so you can only link against GPL
code, but then things like the manager interface cant be controlled that
way.  If that were the case they could say you cna only use GPL sip
clients and they cant (and specifically dont) say that.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378