[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Jun 11 15:04:05 MST 2005

On Saturday 11 June 2005 16:21, trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:
> The GPL does not extend to the hardware or software that Asterisk
> talks to. For example, if you are using a SIP soft phone as a client for
> Asterisk, it is not a requirement that that program also be distributed
> under GPL. Additionally, AGI applications, which are simply
> launched by Asterisk and communicate

No, but there was some talk about exactly what "linking" refers to.  If you
develop a 3rd party .so that asterisk loads, it does fall under the GPL; you
can't make a wowie-gee CDR or call routing module and license it any way you
please.  Mark was at one point condidering the pros and cons of doing the
same for the manager interface, but I haven't heard anything concrete since.

-A.