[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Jun 11 09:44:17 MST 2005

On Saturday 11 June 2005 12:12, Esben Stien wrote:
> It means the project will receive less contribution from free software
> developers. I certainly would not give up my copyright on free
> software so that someone else could release it as non free software.

Only to those who agree with your views.  While I will *NOT* say we've got
enough contributors, I can say that we're doing pretty good with the people
who agree with their policies thus far.  (We == the asterisk community)

> > I am saving a pile of money

> In my opinion, the freedom should outweigh this. I would gladly donate
> this saved money to this project if this dual license issue didn't
> exist, as I do with many other projects.

Six of one, half dozen of the other, IMO.  I don't adhere to a lot of what RMS
rants and raves about, but those types are required to drive the effort to
the far right so that we can have some semblance of a middle.  :-)

> This is not really what he says. He's worried about his free software
> contribution being offered to third parties as non free
> software. Money is not an issue here.

That's why Digium requires your code to be disclaimed.  If you don't agree,
you don't disclaim and your code stays out of the dual-licensed software and
everyone's happy.

> > I feel that blasting Digium for excercising their right to do this
> > is in poor taste, though.

> I must have missed this blasting.

It was a kind of passive-agressive blasting, I'll admit.

-A.