[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sat Jun 11 09:12:42 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> writes:

> I don't know, I've got no problem with them dual-licensing it.

It means the project will receive less contribution from free software
developers. I certainly would not give up my copyright on free
software so that someone else could release it as non free software.

> I am saving a pile of money

In my opinion, the freedom should outweigh this. I would gladly donate
this saved money to this project if this dual license issue didn't
exist, as I do with many other projects.

> If they want to sell a version for big money to people who have more
> money than time, that's just fine by me.

There is nothing wrong with selling free software.

> Nah, you just come across as "I want it for free, and Digium has no
> right to make a buck off other's contributions."

This is not really what he says. He's worried about his free software
contribution being offered to third parties as non free
software. Money is not an issue here.

> Nobody at Digium puts a gun to anyone's head to make them contribute
> for free.

Well, it was just a question he had.

> I feel that blasting Digium for excercising their right to do this
> is in poor taste, though.

I must have missed this blasting.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a